I am so sorry to anyone who tried to join last night’s Chairman Mom virtual dinner about homeschooling. We decided at the last minute to postpone it as I was watching the news coming out of Washington. As the person who was set to be in charge of the discussion, I didn’t feel right leading a conversation about a mostly privileged group of working women struggling to care for their kids and still work during this time.
That’s not to say it’s not a challenge and a problem. But I didn’t feel it was close to the biggest problem we were facing. And I know a lot of members in our community have been protesting, doing work in this area for decades, and are, frankly, fearful for their children’s lives. A discussion around summer camps felt tone-deaf and inappropriate. (I’ve rescheduled it for Thursday.)
In fact, me saying anything feels that way now.
So we want to use this space to share more writing from some of the voices you should be listening to right now. I also want to echo the resources that Breeze Harper and Femily kindly shared:
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla F. Saad
- Dismantling Anti-Black Biases in Democratic Workplaces: A Toolkit
- They Were Her Property: White Women as Slave Owners in the American South by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers
- Breeze’s Facebook post about white terrorism
- Breeze’s blog post titled “One White Man Did Not Single-Handedly ‘Free the Slaves’ (Talking to My Kids About Histories of Racism and Anti-Blackness
- Femily’s Allyship 101 – Anti-racism for White/passing Women and Queer People
Additionally, as we’ve mentioned over the past several months, we’d love to continue having more newsletter intros from members of our community, especially Black women and people of color. Please email Lily at lily(at)chairmanmom(dot)com for more information.
We’re also highlighting some threads on allyship and anti-racism below, and to learn more of what you can do to support Black communities, please join our virtual events:
- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 17TH at 9pm EST/6pm PST: AntiRacism Parenting as Practice: Exploring Race, Whiteness, and Privilege Through a Fifth Grade History Assignment hosted by Breeze Harper
- FRIDAY, JUNE 19TH at 9pm EST/6pm PST: More than just words: How to take action to become better allies hosted by Breeze Harper and Femily
Several important discussions about race, racism, and allyship on Chairman Mom:
- How do I fight for minority/vulnerable group rights in the boardroom?
- On being an “articulate” and well dressed Black professional woman/mom…
- Help us crowd source a list of resources to educate adults and kids about race!
- How can we have an open dialogue about race?
- How do you explain privilege to someone who believes his privilege is “a victimless crime”?
- How do I help my white kids have more diverse friends? (Without doing anything offensive accidentally)
- How to coach (likely) well meaning ally?
- What are some red flags that tell you an “ally” isn’t really an ally?